- The Test Controller (from now on referred to as Controller) – The machine which distributes the tests, monitors their overall status and is responsible for results consolidation.
- The Test Runner Machines (from now on referred to as Runners) – The machines which run the tests.
- OS Platform Coverage – Running tests on various platforms
- Hardware Coverage – Running tests on machines with different hardware or resources
- Performance Testing – Generating simultaneous requests to a target application because a single machine would not be able to generate the target load
- Security Testing – Separating the Runner from the Controller for the basic reason that such tests can result in operating system crashes
- Reducing Test Cycle Time – Even though the tests can be run on a single machine, multiple similar machines are used to allow parallel execution
- Common Test Framework – Running various types of test on different machines because they need different configurations.
The article is available as a PDF file here (~ 0.5 MB): Notes on Test Automation – Distributed Testing Models
You can also download the complete magazine from the Testing Experience website after a small registration process.